Want to lead an awesome progressive think tank? We’ve got the job for you!
About North Star
North Star Policy Institute was launched in 2016 by local policy leaders troubled by conservative efforts to dominate the public policy conversation in Minnesota. The conservative movement has succeeded in cultivating an extensive network of think tanks, advocacy organizations, and public experts to create a policy environment that is conducive to a right-wing agenda and hostile to working people, marginalized populations, and organized labor.
North Star Policy Institute advances public awareness and discussion of public policies that promote the following goals:
- Help working families get ahead instead of just getting by;
- Give all Minnesotans the opportunity to succeed in the changing economy, not just the wealthy few; and
- Promote smart investments in public services that all Minnesotans rely on.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for North Star Policy Institute and North Star Agenda Project staff, program, expansion, and execution of its mission.
Leadership and Management:
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize North Star board members, committees, partnering organizations, funders, and potential funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; seek and build involvement with strategic direction for ongoing operations.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain North Star’s high-performance team
Fundraising and Communications:
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations and expansion
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communication—from web presence to press relations
- Serve as an effective spokesperson for North Star to other organizations and the public.
- Establish and maintain productive working relationships and cooperative arrangements with other progressive organizations.
- Manage all aspects of North Star’s web presence, including but not limited to web management, website troubleshooting, social media, and analytics.
- Periodically contribute to North Star program by researching and writing on issue areas of expertise and interest
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in relevant field.
- Experience working with a non-profit organization, preferably in a managerial or supervisory role, with a desire to lead a start-up nonprofit organization.
- Proven track record of fundraising success.
- Business/financial knowledge/experience with the ability to deal competently with finances, budgeting, and reporting of expenditures.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally, in writing, and in public speaking situations.
- Understanding of cultural differences and ability to communicate with people from multiple cultural/ethnic/language groups.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work effectively with staff, partner organizations, volunteers, members of the community and media.
Send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com by Friday, September 29, 2017.