North Star Policy Action (NSPA) seeks a Research Director to help build our research program and direct projects that lead to policy changes that improve the lives of everyday Minnesotans.
The Research Director will be responsible for building a research program, conducting research, writing reports, and leading outreach to engage partners in our work. The Research Director joins a small team that is creative about leveraging our skills and networks to maximize our impact on the policy conversation in Minnesota.
NSPA is an independent research and communications institute that is dedicated to improving the lives of everyday Minnesotans by advancing bold ideas that change the conversation and bring communities together. We develop and promote data-driven solutions to persistent problems that allow working people to thrive, no matter who they are or where they live.
In our first year, NSPA created research products that led to increased funding for our schools, better conditions for working Minnesotans, new dedicated revenue for transportation, and a larger, more effective state budget. We’re excited about expanding our reach and having an even larger impact in the future. For more information visit northstarpolicy.org.
Specific responsibilities of the Research Director include:
- Create and manage a detailed research plan
- Conduct basic and in depth research on relevant projects, companies, industries, and policies/programs
- Produce clear, concise presentations and written materials for diverse audiences
- Build and maintain professional relationships with allied groups and policymakers
- Create and manage programs to support NSPA’s research capacity, including internships, fellowships, and partnerships with academic institutions
The position will be working remotely, but with regular meetings in St. Paul. Some travel for out of town work assignments will be required.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Economics or a related field and five years of experience in policy research, advocacy, and/or political campaigns. Master’s degree or Ph.D. preferred. Or, a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Proven qualitative and quantitative analytic skills and work experience
- Superior communications skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely summarize complex topics
- Strong commitment to social justice
- Thorough knowledge of policy analysis and development
- Ability to use a personal computer, including spreadsheets, databases, and online research services
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to handle multiple projects and meet established timelines
This is a full-time, exempt position. Competitive salary commensurate with experience ($80-100K), health and retirement benefits.
How to Apply:
Email cover letter, resume, and two relevant writing samples to email@example.com by September 26, 2023. Writing samples should demonstrate a comfort with a range of social science methodologies. Please reference Research Director in the subject line.
NSPA is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization and an equal opportunity, fair chance, affirmative action employer, committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, current employment status, or caregiver status.